BABES in FOREIGN WOODS

 

Even in the same language, simple ordinary things are called by different names in different countries. As a result if one does not know the correct nomenclature when abroad, we may get something which we do not like, did not want or end up having to pay more.

Indians travelling abroad or newly gone to reside there, unless they have done their homework, or are well read, face this problem. Afraid of being labeled as ignorant, most think it’s below dignity to have a new word explained.

Social Media being a great informer, here are some of the brighter comments on the topic of drinking water, suffered by fellow Indians abroad. The names of the commentator have been left out to ensure privacy, but all of them are factual and un-edited.

 

* The first time I went abroad as a young engineer, at a restaurant, I was asked

“Sir Mineral water or Sparkling water”

Mineral water me to extra paisa lagta hai, so I ordered Sparkling water !

 

* Ordered a 30$ Sparkling water at the Roosevelt, Manhattan, in 2015

Since then I’ve been drinking tap water when I visit abroad.

 

* Ask for Normal water/ tap water, if you really want to consume water. Sparkling water is soda of India.

After drinking it - samajh mein aaya hamare yaha isse soda bolte hain.

 

* In my first time abroad, I thought they have given me soda by mistake. I was stunned to know people actually drink it straight instead of in their whisky.

 

* Must have been “still or sparkling water” - I didn’t know sparkling water existed till that time !!

 

* Waiter :  “Sir Mineral or Sparkling.”

I: “Jo tum peetey ho wahi le aao ,

Seedha Jug me paani aata hai , free wala.”

 

* Ditto! Something similar happened in 2012 on my first trip to UK. Not knowing the difference between still & sparkling water. I picked sparkling water! I was like Damn this soda and why the heck Brits have glorified name sparkling!

 

* Went to a restaurant and the server asked copper water or mineral water, I said "Jo jug mein aata hai steel ke wo waala". I'm proud of myself.

 

* The only friends I know who like sparkling water are German ... I think the taste is just off for most of us Indians.

 

* Both cost is same anyways - sparkling water is mineral water + some gas

 

* I was asked in plane as was traveling in business class for the 1st time. I was like sparking sounds cool so I asked for it instead.

 

* It was asked 'Still water' or 'sparkling water' .. me too order "sparkling water' just to be disappointed..

 

* Thank god you being asked for, I was in Amsterdam once in an Indian restaurant, the waiter (an Indian guy) opened a sparkling water bottle without even asking which was 24.99 Euro, I immediately said forgetting all my English  “ *** Kahan se ho Tum India mein !!”

 

* Other shocks were, finger chips had lot of vinegar in it.

And Cheese Burger means beef burger.

 

* It’s Spring and Sparkling - the waiter got it wrong perhaps or was a Desi waiter.

Because For him Mineral Water was premium till he was in India. He might have never heard of Sparkling water.

 

* The first time I went abroad as a young manager, after stepping out of the airport I asked for a pre-paid cab ..... to the amusement of the locals !!

 

* First time I visited France, the same thing happened with me. It was year 2001.

 

* Bhai ye ekdum spot on observation hai.

 

* Same here. Sparkling water salty hota hai. I had bought 4 litres.

 

* I bought 2 Ltr bottle to carry back in my Hotel and then …

 

* And I ordered a Ham burger.. didn't know what ham was.

 

* And I ordered veg burger at Mac D :)

 

* At least like me, you didn’t assume the 'rare', 'medium' or 'well done' for lamb chops would mean the spice level, and ordered a rare one coz I like mild food.

 

* And somewhere in Scotland when I asked for Veg at Mac D, they asked me which one - Fish burger or Veggie burger,

Veggie obviously.

This was not the end..

My vegetarian friend took a Cheese burger.. n that day.. dharm bhrasht hua tha uska..

( In some parts of the World, fish is categorised as Veg, and Cheese burger is actually a beef burger!!! )

 

* Plastic and glass bottle mei bhi fark hota.

* And next when you went to  EU you kept plastic bottle from one EU country only to discover other doesn’t offer back the charge on returning the same.

 

* Right answer - tap water...i think everyone falls for that initially.

 

* Hahahah.. i can totally relate to this.

 

* So .. you normally order tap water

 

* Perrier water is also carbonated water

 

* Which country? They usually ask still water or sparkling water? The term mineral water is not used that much.

 

* "Sir, Still or Sparkling water?"

Me: What is that?

 

* To cut conversation short before high profile Westerners, I replied sparkling.  Realized after 2 sec still water is drinking water, sparkling is ‘***’.

Comments

  1. I wonder if they offer himalayan water or ganga water_rashmi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These may be definitely available in Higher end Hotels, as Indian tourists are globe trotting

      Delete
  2. My God, different kind of water..I did not know what was Sparkling water.
    Hope in future they will not ask, " Alps' snow water ot Water from Antarctica.
    I am happy with my filter water.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

लपक लो

INDIAN RESTAURANTS ABROAD

Towel on the Chair Back